Since I bought my first MacBook Pro on Oct. 11, 2007, I’ve had my share of opportunities to visit the Apple Genius Bar at Northpark Mall. If you don’t know, it’s one of the smallest stores in the Apple Store inventory, but also one of the busiest. This is where I took my One-To-One training with Adopho Cantu and learned so much more than I could ever have hoped for.
Today I was in attempting to do a restore of my email lost last Tuesday after applying a Rule to Mail because a spammer had sent an email from the address < @>. We were trying to use Time Machine to restore Mail to where it was before that fated rule change. (We didn’t get it to work either.)
But as we were going through the process–I’ve also spent about an hour on the phone with Apple Care–the Genuis started asking about what I do and then I got to whip out the iPad and show her Dr. Mark Van Stone’s 2012: Science & Prophecy of the Ancient Maya, Ken Plume, John Robinson and Len Peralta’s There’s A Zombie In My Treehouse, and lastly, Dr. John Ed Mathison’s When God Redefines the Possible, a work in progress.
When the Genius started manipulating the 3D image of the Rio Azul mask that’s in the book, her response was Apple Genius Cool–“SHUT UP!” (I wasn’t saying anything.)
Before I knew it, I had three other geniuses looking at the books and doing the same thing. Genius One kept saying, “I am showing off my customer!”
Now like I’ve said, I’ve had my share of Genius Bar visits, but this was the first time I wasn’t the one in awe of what was going on. It was the Geniuses.
We talked about how one before in Northpark I’d showed the books to a sales rep who told me, “It’s so cool for us to see things like this, because we send stuff out of here in boxes all day long, the tools you need to do cool stuff. It’s fascinating for us to see how it’s actually being used.”
And so this is another tribute and thank you to the Genius, sales and One-to-One training staff of the Apple Store at Northpark Mall in Dallas, Texas. Without my One-to-One training from Adolpho, who is no longer there, there’s no telling how far behind I still would be. And what a great memory to have–SHUT UP!
- Apple: Reset your iPhone before hitting the Genius Bar (reviews.cnet.com)
- Do yourself a favor, get AppleCare+ for the new iPad (reviews.cnet.com)
- Silicon Alley Insider: This Guy Had A Horrible MacBook Pro Experience, And Then Things Got Worse At The Genius Bar (AAPL) (businessinsider.com)
- The Apple Genius (brandsandfilms.com)
- When good Macs go bad: Steps to take when your Mac won’t start up (macworld.com)
- Apple trademarks Apple Store design (bizjournals.com)
- We think Apple “lost” our 27in iMac (reamaze.com)
- Cartoon: Apple Maps (englishblog.com)
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Store Design Granted a Trademark (insidermonkey.com)